Saturday, June 6, 2009

Neural Stimulation Exercises
In addition to all the daily handling,

I have been performing neural stimulation
exercises on the pups since Day 3, and will
continue until Day 16. The 3-5 second exercises are:
1. Held head up.
2. Held head down.
3. Held on its back.
4. With a Q-tip, tickle between the toes.
5. Laid on a damp towel.
These mild stresses are said to produce
positive changes in the brain, muscles,
cardiovascular & respiratory system (increased
oxygen levels). In testing, adult dogs that had the
stimulation exercises as puppies were better able
to handle stress.
Here is a link to an article by Dr. Carmen Battaglia
describing the exercises and their value.

http://www.breedingbetterdogs.com/articles/early_neurological_stimulation_en.html

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting because I did a bit of the NSE with my last litter. A breeder of toys told me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did Dr. Battaglia's exercises with my crew, and nothing phased those puppies.

    Patti @ Ardenwood

    ReplyDelete