Thursday, May 28, 2009

Introducing Puppies

Since I have not slept since 4 am yesterday,
it's possible that my explanation might
be fuzzy here or there. :)
It has been a journey befitting the
"life" litter. Life is precious indeed.
The first puppy was stillborn.
He looked perfect, I worked on him
for 30 minutes before letting go.
Sorrow. Heartbreak.
Mr. Red came next at 8:33pm,
followed by Miss Pink, Miss Purple
and following a break, Mr Green.
Then another rest period, with all pups
nursing contentedly. Paris worked very hard
on bringing the next pup into the world.
He had other ideas! He was not making
progress, and she kept having contractions.
Off to the emergency vet (sometime around 3 am),
and Paris needed a c-section. A boy
(Mr Naked who became Mr Blue), and a girl
(Miss Naked that became Miss Yellow) and another
boy (puppy number 8) who we couldn't get started.
More sadness followed by joy that Paris came
through the surgery fine, and we have 6 healthy puppies,
3 girls and 3 boys. Life is good.
Who is the winner? I think we have *winners*!
Pete guessed Wed 8 (5-3) and Jeanne said
Thurs 8 (5-3) which is what the breakdown was,
born over two days. So, $25 will be donated in Pete's
name, and $25 in Jeanne's name to the FCR Foundation.
Thank you for playing along and starting the journey
with us. Photos soon!

6 comments:

  1. Joy and heartbreak compressed into a few frantic hours. So glad Paris is well and after her hard work has 6 pups.

    Take care and be well yourselves, Jen and Mike.

    -Kate Szilard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that Paris and pups are doing well. Sounds like you and Mike need to get some rest too! We look forward to seeing pictures of the wee ones and following their journey as they grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer,

    I'm so happy to hear that Paris and the puppies are doing well. Congratulations and I'll be sure to stay in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about the two losses but what a beautiful litter. Get some sleep! I think you and Paris both deserve it. Nigel gives lots of kisses to his sister and new nieces and nephews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to Paris, and to you. I'm so glad that Paris & her babies are well.

    I look forward to lots of puppy photos and puppy stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to you all! Sorry I was far away during the big event. Way to go, mama Paris! Button sends his best. Bill

    ReplyDelete